PETERHOFF (OLD RAJ BHAVAN AT CHAURAMAIDAN)

Earlier the Raj Bhavan, the official residence of the Governor of Himachal Pradesh,was at Chauramaidan in Peterhoff building. The Peterhoff housed at least seven Viceroys and Governor General during the Raj. The first Viceroy to move into Peterhoff was the Earl of Elgin who arrived in Shimla on 4th April 1863. After independence the building served as Punjab High Court and it was here that the trial of Nathu Ram Godsey, who assassinated Mahatma Gandhi, took place in 1948-49. When Himachal became full fledged state the building became the Raj Bhavan. Unfortunately it burnt down in 1981 and  Raj Bhavan shifted to Barnes Court building on 13-1-1981.

Home  |  Governor  |  Photo Gallery  |  Contact Us

Disclaimer: Website designed and hosted by National Informatics Centre through CSP Himachal Pradesh. Contents owned and updated by Governor House. Contents of this website are informative only and for benefit of the public. However, these do not confer any legal right or obligation.